I put together a 28 nosler and I'm looking for some load ideas. I used a stainless 700 rum action and a rock Rem mag sporter contour 8.75" twist barrel. I was thinking 24" barrel length but the smith said if he built one he'd go 28" so I compromised and went 25". I don't like long barrels in my sporters so 25" was the max I wanted to go.

i usually like to spec my own reamers so I don't end up with unable to feed from the box and still kiss the lands but the sammi spec one the smith had looked like it would work so we ran with it. Turned out that it kisses the 180 vld h at 3.59" and the 162 Amax at about 3.55" and my mag box is about 3.64 so I'm good for now. It doesn't leave as much room as I'd like to chase the lands with vld's but there's plenty of room for most other bullets.

I haven't bedded it yet because I forgot to order more Devcon but I threw a fixed 10 SS on it and loaded a few. The first and only load I've tried was 180 vld huntings over 80g Retumbo. I shot one and cleaned it for two rounds and then shot one to get it on paper and then shot a 3 shot group. They chronied right at 3100 fps and the group was right at 1".

I think it has potential with some bedding and load work up and I like the way it handles. The machining looks great and the barrel had almost no copper when I cleaned it after rounds 3,4,5,and 6. I'm done with brake in and ready to start working on a load when my new can of Devcon shows up and I bed it.

I have 180 hybrids, 180 vld h's, 175 eld-x's, 162 eld-x's, 162 amax's, and 168 ablr's on hand. Any of you have some load ideas for those bullets? I have most powders too including re33, 26, and 23.

Thanks,
Bb