The Japanese had issues with their camshafts breaking in two. Thing is, the media focused on problems of Chevy and Ford at the time because it was politically correct to do so.

Dad was a GM engineer (now retired) during the time, so I had a vested interest in the lopsided media coverage.

Anyone recall the problems Mitsubishi had with brakes? My wife has a 2001 Montero and I was therefore reminded of it as I went through it after the purchase. The brake accumulator was faulty and subject to recall; however, this one had been replaced by the previous owner.

Point is that there are problems with any given vehicle in the race to build cheaper. Whether it's a cheaply made intake gasket or a brake accumulator that leaks nitrogen into the lines... the decision is what you want to deal with, not what won't break.

I personally find Chevy very easy to work on and inexpensive to repair. I don't trust any but myself to do most work on the vehicles above changing the tires and oil changes (and with the tires, I go around with a torque wrench I keep in the back.)

Idaho Shooter, with all respect, I'm sitting here scratching my head at the things gone wrong with your '99 and also with the prices you paid to repair 'em. Unless I'm very out of touch with shop prices (and that could be; I've not worked in that industry for 15 years at least) you were way overcharged for shop time on a couple items looks like.

Jacques, I'm not sure why you opine that the 4x4 system is a Rube Goldberg design. It's basically the same as most other push-button systems in use: You punch a button, an electric shift motor shifts the transfer case, and a solenoid engages to provide engine vacuum to a front axle shift motor to engage the axle.

My 1985 Cherokee had a vacuum actuated front axle. Most vehicles that don't have locking hubs have an electric or vacuum motor to engage the front axle.

My only real complaint is that the security system is so integrated into the computers that there's no overriding it. I prefer separate security systems, but that's just personal preference.

Regards,

Josh