I need some ideas on loads to shoot out of my 222 for deer. I would like to get hornady superformance velocities out of the cartridge but can't find any of the load data with their powder. I had considered buying a box pulling the bullet and measuring it out. As far as a bullet goes I've looked at a hornady gmx and Barnes tsx but I've never used a lead free bullet. I'm looking for something with excellent expansion and weight retention similar to the Winchester fail safe.

Before I have have a bunch of people tell me that the 222 isn't suitable for whitetails let me explain my situation. I recently had some things come up and had to part with my more suitable rifles. I hung on to a savage model 24V (which is a 20 gauge over a 222) to put food on the table. I figured it was going to be my best option because I can shoot grouse and squirrel and hope for the occasional shot at a wild boar or deer. I live in North Carolina so the deer are small and the cover is thick limiting shot distance. I'm planning on being very selective with shot placement just as I do when I am bowhunting. I would love a great blood trail but I'm not expecting one from this cartridge luckily I own a excellent blood trailing dog. I'm not looking for reasons not to use it but good constructive comments on load data and bullet selection to aid me in a quick clean kill.

Last edited by rustydog; 09/18/16.