Originally Posted by smallfry
The 45 ACP goes bang and that's about the extent it. Generally defensive guns in the 45 ACP are bulkier and carry less rounds. As a cartridge it's slow, takes a $hit on barriers and ricochets off funny stuff the 9 and the 40 doesn't. Velocity gives you capability, whether a manufacture utilizes it in construction is another matter. The only other bigger joke as a defensive cartridge would be the 45 GAP (excluding 380s and below). As a hunting cartridge I think when you load the 45 ACP to 45 Super "levels" it's a decent hunting cartridge for an auto pistol.
The 45 ACP isn't going anywhere, it's one of the most popular auto handgun cartridges. I don't shoot any of mine much but I would like a Shield in it.

There are things a guy can do to make the 45 ACP more effective though. Here are a few:

1) Put a What Would JeffCooper Do (WWJD) bumper sticker on your vehicle.
2) Put a DVC sticker under that.
3) Open Carry ( your 1911 duh) in a thick leather pancake holster.
4) Tell people you are carrying your 1911 in condition 3 and be sure to tell them you don't "give a $hit".
5) Nod at and fantasize about how women in line at 7/11 think you are protecting them, then post it on an open carry forum.
6) Flip your belt buckle down and use it as a dinner plate at Luby's.

That last one I am not sure there is causality but there is some sort of correlation.

Are you being sarcastic and I'm just missing it? Or are you really that dense?