It's a long "I" in Alaska.

The Black Phase Brown bears of the ABC islands are all referred to as Shirus Brown bears. At least when I was guiding there. I had a client shoot one on Kuiu island which has no brown bears. Thought it was the biggest black bear in history when I saw it. How did it get here? I dunno, guess it crossed at low tide between islands?

I radioed the state patrol shortly after realizing the mistake. Black color Brown bear on an island without brown bears! Jet black as coal but with a dull colored hide, not the typical shiny black coat of a black bear. However when they are in the water and all wet, you cannot see them very clearly anyway. Well except it was a giant!

F&G took the bear hide I skinned for them( trying to be as helpful and polite as possible). The F&G guy on the plane said, I would have shot that one in a heart beat on this island too! No trouble, glad we called it on and did not try to do something stupid! We carried on with the hunt for a black bear. After they left. It was about an inch shy of 9 foot. Best I could measure on the beach with a 6' fabric tape. Might have been a bit bigger...... or smaller?

It's got a better Twang to it then saying it's a black brown bear. I've also only heard this in Wyoming when referring to the moose there. Shirus Moose. They are also quite dark, or near black in color.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)