Originally Posted by Allen917
I have a couple of electronics that are OK, but I am just as fast on my 10-10 with a powder trickler, plus more accurate. About the only thing I don't like about the beam scales, is I have to shut the air vents in the room to keep air from blowing on it. With the air conditioning running it will show almost a full grain difference.

Yep, air currents are very bad for balance beam scales. But also electrostatic buildup. In my dry high desert country, we get cool dry air masses the majority of the year, and lots of static indoors. After trying rubbing Bounce dryer sheets on everything, I finally discovered that taking my shoes off cured static problems. My room has carpet on a concrete floor. If I weigh charges in stocking feet, there's enough moisture from my feet in the socks to dissipate static. With shoes on, the static disrupts scale accuracy completely. To illustrate, I zero the scale, then poise a fingertip about 1/4 inch from the pan, and I can "levitate" it up or down, like a magnet, at will. It's no theory, I could post a video.

PS Parker says the 10-10, being a two-poised design, is a good scale, and accurizes well, if not as well as the M5. The 5-0-5 three-poise design has an inherent flaw in its middle poise weight's design.

Last edited by brians356; 09/23/16.