If someone was trying to kill me at 130 yards and all I had was my 9mm? I'd be taking up a cover position and returning fire.

And after 30 shots if I didn't hit em or scare em I'd be leaving pronto!

Cover's good; I like the cover.

But I figure I'm just about as likely to hit 'em at 130yd with a 9mm by not shooting as I am by shooting. So I'm figuring:

If I return fire, then A) they know where I am; B) they know I have no armament but a piddly-dink little gangsta 9--because if I had more I'd be using it; C) they know I'm high-strung and excitable; and D) I'm 30rd lighter.

If I just hunker in my hidey-hole, then A) whatever surprise I have I keep: maybe they don't know how or if I'm armed or exactly where I am; B) they'll get closer, which means that C) my hit probability will wildly increase, as will D) the amount of damage any successful hits might do, which E) makes those 30rd I saved much, much more effective.

But maybe you're a lot better than I am with a 9mm.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867