So I want to thread my Sako 75 finnlight in 300 win mag. Obviously, I don't need a can on a mountain rifle but since it holds 3/4 MOA, I figured a can might make it even better when I was shooting long distance off a ridge against elk in meadows or clear cuts. Yes I know it's not what the rifle was intended to be used originally for, but I ain't humping my sendero with a nightforce scope up these hills either. I suspect the change in point of impact should not be too extreme with the 7.62 omega hanging off the end of a 24 & 3/8 fluted barrel.

It would appear that 5/8 x 24 (.625), nor 1/2 x 28 threads are not good options as the barrel is a 0.63 diameter contour at the muzzle.

I assume 5/8 thread won't leave enough thread in the first case to grip nor leave enough shoulder to index off of.

1/2 thread wont leave enough barrel meat around the bore (.5 - .308 = 0.192) as most suppressor makers recommend at least .200 of remaining meat - especially on magnums from what I gather.

Now 9/16 (.5625) gives at least a 0.0625 shoulder, especially as the barrel shortens toward the chamber. Also leaves about 0.2545 (+) of remaining meat outside the bore.

My thought is to do 9/16 LH thread pitch and put an 7.62 ASR flash hider on there (which they indeed make), which would serve as a quick detach for my SilencerCo Omega can. Then I can easily attach the can and the can shoulders and indexes off the ASR mount. Not looking to put the muzzle brake as the blast would be obnoxious without the can.

I assume that the .0625 shoulder allows enough meat for the ASR flash hider to hook up firmly or does it (tge ASR FH) even need a shoulder like you would with a can??? This would seem to be a better option than trying to do a direct thread on this barrel contour.

Thoughts? Appreciate your input.

Conrad101st
1/503 Inf., 2nd ID (90-91)
3/327 Inf., 101st ABN (91-92)