Originally Posted by las
I have had mixed results with Hornady 150 gr SST super performance factory in my 30-06 Mauser 98 on caribou. Best used at 300 yards or more where they perform very well. Closer in they often but not always offer very large exit wounds. Hitting bone on the way in will do it too!

I've been loading 150 grain SSTs with 51 grains of IMR 4064 in my 30-06. I don't have a Hornady manual but I recently found from the net that their max load for 4064 and the 150 SST is 53.6 grains. I got the 51 grains from the Lee manual as a max load for a generic 150 grain bullet and it is also Hodgdon's max for a 150 grain NBT.

Anyway, the load works great on deer. I'm guessing that its probably running close to 200 fps behind the superformance factory load you are shooting and at 100 to 150 yards replicating impacts with it at 300.

Probably the reason I like the bullets is I am not pushing them even though I thought I was running the speed limit.

Last edited by RJY66; 10/16/16.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn