320 is considered industry standard. 400 is extra fine and considered by many as so fine it's hard for the brass to grip and will cause excessive bolt thrust. I call BS. The excess bolt thrust thing is a myth. The brass is only a bladder like an inner tube. Having the chamber super smooth hurts nothing. Polish it like chrome if you want. It hurts nothing. I think 400 is perfect. Keep in mind that with 400 the brass will leave marks in the chamber. It will look all kinds of scratched up even with pristine brass. After a few hundred rounds the marks will start to blend together and not look so bad.

Under normal pressure brass springs back .001" so it should never get really stuck. Excessive pressure will stretch things out beyond what the brass will spring back and that when they get really stuck. Ripping the rim off stuck. This is why I really dislike cutting the shank section out of a barrel for the purpose of saving weight. A high pressure round needs that bulk over the chamber to contain the pressure. Another factor in sticky bolt opening can be if the lower ramp has been cut on to aid feeding long rounds. That will allow that lug abutment to flex and that will allow the brass to expand lengthwise causing a sticky bolt opening.

"Hired Gun" Quickest and fastest all motor sand car on the planet.
3.008 at 104.8 300' of sand.

NRA Patron Life Member, Gunsmith, Instructor, Chief RSO