I had two Rem 870s that shot the old Winchester Hi Impact Supremes very well. 3 chamber, rifled bore, receivers drilled and tapped, good scope mounted low (high comb stocks).

Sub 2" rigs at 100.

And slick for quick followup shots (kinda handy some times). Small parcel hunting, nice to add holes to possibly help keep deer dead on your side of the fence.

Had fantastic luck with regular foster slugs in a few Mossberg 500's back in the day.

No matter what I ran, I always shot slugs from one lot #.

Rifled choketube or barrels, were tested for cleaning interval and foulers.

Smoothbore rigs good to 150 yards, always ran 12 gauges.
Rifled rigs could go ? My farthest was 165.

Must say, the Hi Impacts showed remarkably greater reaction to a hit. Mid lung height swats could crumple the deer. Some made a couple of steps.

I did however hit one on the shoulder front, at 12 yards coming towards me (from the ground) and that slug stopped under the hide on the off side ham. He jumped and trotted 75 yards and stood with his head low. So I popped him again and he fell dead.

Went up and saw the 2nd shots entrance and exit and no other hole.

WTH?

Turns out the 2nd shot's exit was also my first shot's entrance. The tuft of fur on the booty revealed the first shots stopping point.

Must also say a few deer looked like bad Japanese monster movies. Boom, crunch they'd go down.........and man the red would pour out. No other slugs whopped 'em like that.

I gave up slug gunning in seriousness, when WW dropped that slug. My buddy bought my 1st 870 slug gun, and still runs it with the Partition version. Says it shoots sub 2" at 100 for him.

The old farm we hunted, could do drives. It was a tree farm. Actually got a little 100" 8 pt on a 2 man drive, hit 3 times on the run, group the size of your palm, through trees (25 yds).All on fwd edge of shoulder.

That was so freakin' cool smile