I run a damp patch down after every shot when I am at the range. I probably use the same patch 7 or 8 times, flipping over when it is very fouled. It is just wet enough to loosen the fouling, not really clean it. I certainly don't want my charge wet. This method works for me, and it is ingrained when I go to the range. With this method, the slugs go down, and out with the same tightness.
I'll also add that sometimes very tight loading is not conductive to accuracy. Of course every statement is dependent upon the rifling cut and depth. I have some flintlocks that only shoot one magic recipe, and scatter similar rounds. Other shoot many combinations well. Generally I had more success accuracy wise with moderate loads like 75 grains of 3F, with loose sabots in fast twist, and same BP with moderately tight patch in slow twist deep rifling. Too tight seems to deform balls, and gum up rifling with sabots.
Maybe the moral is, sometimes it is easy to get one to shoot, and other times it takes some trial and error. Keeping the barrel fouling loose keeps things consistent.