Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Originally Posted by Jericho
When I was in the USArmy I knew several guys who originally joined as infantry, arty, scouts, etc. and after they made E5 they reenlisted into another MOS. Some told me they made rank quicker in combat arms but got tired of being in the field all the time. I met very few who did 20 years in combat arms, I imagine most guys got tired of it after awhile. Any input?

Infantry is damned hard on your body. Trashed knees and trashed backs being pretty much a sure thing. Guys that did 20 years in the Infantry were physically a wreck by their late 30s/early 40s.

I started at 29 years old and made seven years before the body wear and tear affected me. I managed to hang awhile but I got out during the RIFs for the "Peace Dividend". Hadn't seen the wife in two years because of BRAC and it was too late when I got home(less). I miss the field but, of course, not being frozen, exhausted, panting from heat exhaustion, or being 2000-3000-whatever miles from home. If I had one left.

In a good unit, with good Leaders, you don't get tired of "it" as you would in hellish units. But you have to be at the top of your physical game to contribute, or else you are a liability to other good Soldiers.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe