Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
A search here will find plenty of threads addressing the issues with BLO.
it is horrible garbage and has no purpose whatsoever on quality wood...

Which brings up a question for you, Art.

I have a custom rifle that was built in the late 50's and has, what I believe is, a BLO finish. I accidently got some Wipe Out bore cleaner on it and it instantly removed the finish in that spot.

How much trouble is it going to be to refinish the entire stock with something more durable?

Ed

Ed
Probably an oil finish, not a BLO finish. I would suggest spot-finishing the blemish with oil and being more careful with the Wipe Out next time! wink

If it actually is a BLO finish it will be very dull. You can get good oil (better paint and art stores should carry it) and add extra driers to a small portion and rub it into the stock. Allow it to cure well and repeat a couple times. That should cure the oil down in the wood a ways and allow more to be added to the top.

If you want more protection you could get a tiny container of oil based varnish and cut it with pure oil. Apply heavily, let stand 10-15 minutes and wipe DRY. Repeat that a number of times and each additional coat will add durability, shine, waterproofing, and luster.

Formby's Furniture Refinisher can be used first around the blemish if needed to blend the spot.
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.