Originally Posted by paul105
I have a -1, the one with the "zit". They are neat little packin' revolvers but recoil can get nasty with anything approaching the Buffalo Bore load (250gr Keith at 954fps per BB website from 3.2" 396). I talked with both S&W (they said 250gr bullets were OK) and with Tim Sundles at BB about using their load in the 396 (also OK). The problem is potential "crimp jump" and the thin barrel butt/forcing cone area -- the cylinder, with offset bolt notches, is said to be strong enough.

The factory grips (Hogue bantams) magnify the felt recoil significantly - almost like shooting with no grips).

FWIW, I sold a no dash, 696 earlier this year or late last year for right around $850 on Gun Broker.

Cariboujack, I might be interested in the Sheep grips if you are willing to sell them separately.

Paul

thats pretty much the story i heard as to bullet jump, and the thin forcing cone.
the one i got came froma guy replacing it a 696 with the 396, sold the 696 to me for about 350bucks. Later reconized the error of his ways and also bought another 696.
I have shot the 429421 in mine without any issues, but i wasn't pushing them very hard either.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO