Originally Posted by Mule Deer
sbhooper,

First, I'm a big fan of Hornady Interlocks and have used them to take several species of big game in weights from 100-250 grains and calibers from .25 to .35. The ones I've recovered have averaged about 50% weight retention, but two separated core and jacket. Once it didn't matter because the animal died anyway, but it did matter on the other animal, which had to be shot again because the first didn't make it into the chest after hitting the shoulder joint.

Second, Nosler Partitions are NOT made to shed the "front half" of the bullet. They're designed to lose the front core, which isn't anywhere near half the weight. The models at the smaller end of the line-up, in caliber and weight, typically lose about 30-35% of their weight, and the heaviest models lose around 10-20%.

This makes a considerable difference in penetration over the Hornady Interlock. I once shot a mule deer buck facing me in lodgepole timber with a 140-grain 7mm Partition. The bullet didn't exit but I couldn't find it inside the buck's innards. Found it a year later when biting into a round steak, retaining 60% of its weight. Also once shot a 200-grain Nosler Partition through the middle of the big joint of a 6-point elk's shoulder as the bull quartered toward me, and the bullet exited the rear of the ribcage on the other side, several feet of penetration AFTER breaking the thickest chunk of bone in an elk's body.

As noted earlier, Hornady Interlocks are good bullets, but they are NOT Nosler Partitions.

I have never once said that Interlocks were Partitions. You are splitting hairs again. I used the wrong terminology when I said front half, instead of core. After total penetration, 50-60 percent of weight retention is not a problem in my book. For me, the problem is when a bullet fragments badly, which neither have done for me over the years.

Partitions SHOULD perform better than Interlocks, as they are a premium bullet and quite a bit more expensive(unless you do what I do and buy seconds). I use both types of bullets and have never had a problem with either one killing and usually exiting on elk, antelope and deer. I cannot comment on bears etc., as I have yet to get a test medium!

I have usually gotten better accuracy out of the Hornady, also. There again, splitting hairs, as I have never had an issue getting hunting (moa) accuracy from either one.

Last edited by sbhooper; 10/27/16.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.