My daughter drew a late elk tag this year. It's been tough hunting. We've been in the mid 60s every day, barely freezing at night, no snow, and lots of moon.

We walked in to a spot this afternoon to wait on some elk. They didn't show up so we started heading back. It was our last time to hunt. We happened to look back and saw a bull coming out the trees at maybe 400 yards.

There was no time for a sneak so we did the only thing I could think of. We walked right at him. I had my cow call handy and when I figured we were close to 200 yards we got her set up on the sticks. He was looking at us, but I think the cow call had him confused.

She shot and missed the first time, which is rare for her. She connected on the 2nd, taking out a shoulder. He turned full broadside the other way and she shot that shoulder too. I've told her we shoot at elk until they aren't moving anymore. And maybe a few times after that. He jumped and dissappeared over the hill. It ended up being 235 yards.

We got over there and he'd gone downhill about 50 yards.

She used my friend's Tikka youth in .308 leupold 2.5-8 and federal 150 fusion load. Both front legs were toast and the heart. Neither were a pass through but it hardly mattered. My shooting sticks are home made from XC ski poles.

I wish I'd had her luck when I was a kid. I think some folks think she hunts because I like it. But she loves it on her own. I didn't draw a thing this year, but had a blast taking her. Besides I wouldn't have had time for my own with all the tags she drew this year.
[Linked Image]