Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by SoonerWing
Let me start by apologizing for my ignorance as I am just learning about scopes and the different options as I have never really shot beyond 100 yards. I just read a good breakdown on FFP and SFP and the importance that plays with regards to the reticle on an adjustable magnification scope. With that said, I am looking for a good scope that I can put on top of my Wby Vanguard S2 chambered in .308 which will allow me to shoot out to 400 yards. I am considering a fixed 6X with mil-dots or after reading this I am thinking that a 3-9 or 2.5-10 FFP with mil-dots and an illuminated reticle would give me a more versatile scope. What are the pros and cons of each and could you suggest some scopes under $1,000 I should consider?

Thank you kindly!

The problem, and the reason people didn't respond right away, is that your usage and application of said scope is unclear. You mention shooting out to 400 yards, but you also mention mil-dots and an IR. Is this scope for hunting, targets out to 400, will it be used in thick bush, why do you feel you need IR?

Some pros and cons of each are:

Fixed 6x
- Enough mag but not too much, though perhaps not ideal for close encounters or long shots
- Less moving parts, so increased durability and optical brightness
- Simplicity, less to think about in the heat of the moment

Variable 3-9
- More versatile and customizable to the application
- More moving parts means less durable, less optically impressive, and greater likelihood of error in high-pressure situations (scope on 9x when a critter jumps up at 10 yards, etc)

If you use a scope with decent optics and a good reticle, an IR is not necessary. For what I think is your intended purpose, I'd be looking at the SWFA 6x/MQ reticle, or 3-9x42 HD/MQ. If you can stretch a bit over $1000 the Bushnell 3-12x44 LRHS is fantastic.

If you're not wanting to dial and simply use a reticle to get to 400 yards, the viable options open up considerably, but most guys that are experienced with shooting at distance prefer to dial, so you need a scope that will be dependable when the turrets are zipped up and down a bunch. The scope needs to track with your inputted adjustments correctly, return to zero every time, hold zero, etc, and there aren't many options that will take a licking and keep on doing what you expect them to.

Sorry about that. I am really looking for something that I can still use here in Oklahoma where I don't typically have a shot past 150 yards and on hunts chasing Elk, Mulies, sheep, etc. out west (haven't done this yet but will be next year). The reason I mentioned the IR is that I believe that I read somewhere that on a variable FFP scope (which I just assume is better than SFP) the reticle can become difficult to see when increasing power. I am not apposed to dialing but based on what I have read i don't think I will be shooting past 400 yards due to the limitations of this particular caliber. That and I assume that holdovers are easier than dialing.