Binary morality is always easier to defend.

"This" thing (which by the way is the thing I use) is all good, people who use it are all responsible and it never causes any problems.
But "that" thing (which by the way is the thing all those loser asswholes use) is all bad, people who use it are all pathetic idiots and it does nothing but cause problems.

The reality is that some people can’t handle alcohol and it interferes in their lives from minor problems to total ruination. Some people can handle alcohol and never suffer much more than an occasional hangover. Some people can’t handle pot and let it take over their lives. Some people can handle pot and never suffer much more than an occasional spacey feeling the morning after, plus having empty pizza boxes and open bags of chips lying around.

I am not for any drug but as long as people want to get intoxicated on anything we’ll never get rid of intoxicants, but the way we handle alcohol is about the best compromise I’ve seen.

You are allowed to possess and use alcohol but the minute you let your use of it cause a safety problem to others you are liable for punishment. Same standards should be applied to any other intoxicants. That allows the responsible people to use responsibly, and gives the only weapons an otherwise free country should be able to have to deter those who cannot use their intoxicant of choice responsibly.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!