Originally Posted by ol_mike
I have a cz 452 22mag that came with some ammo - haven't fired it -just too stubborn to pay for the over priced ammo .
If it's high tech brother the 17hmr can be sold for under $10 the 22mag should be cheaper since there is no necking down the brass step.
I do like the 22mag cartridge though .

You got a $400 - $500 rimfire and wont pay $12 for a box of ammo. Really? You wont even shoot the ammo you got with the gun. I am at a loss for a polite response.

Ammo cost pretty closely follow raw material cost. All things equal, 22mag should cost an itty-bity little bit more than 17hrm. Say a dollar per 50 as a WAG.

The industry did a good job on keeping up with 17hrm supply. For reasons, I cannot imagine, 22mag lagged. Survivalist value? Maybe the Mexican producers will step in. I see plenty now and simply accept the new price for what it is.

The cost of 22mag ammo has never been a concern to me. Each round generally equals a dead critter. My universe is not filled with that many critters. And, lucky I was a hoarder decades before it became fashionable. While, I recently switched over to Vmax, I still got uncounted yellow cardboard boxes of super x. Remember 22mag used to be sold in cases of 10 boxes? I wonder what a plastic box adds to the retail?