I've got a Rem 788 that needs some work, the gun has lots of sentimental value which is why I'm building on this action and not starting with a custom action(have also heard lots of good things about this action). Gun is in the .22-250 caliber so it's the "short" 788 action. I figure I'll keep it as the .22-250 caliber. Walking a somewhat lightweight gun that will be run suppressed that will mostly be used for hunting maybe some long range plinking at times. Excited to finally be doing this this upcoming year.

Specs will be:

Rem 788 action

Oversized bolt knob (Need to find a smith for this any recommendations appreciated)

X-Caliber .22 CF blank fluted (Thinking Light Varmint contour, still undecided here) finished at 16.5"-18" with TBAC muzzle break.

TBAC Ultra 9 30 cal

Timney 788 Trigger

McMillan stock (leaning towards the A3 Sporter, possibly edge fill)

EGW 20 MOA base

Seekins precision matched 30mm rings

Bushnell 3-12x44 LRHS

That is what I am thinking, would like to hear feedback on my list. Especially to save weight. Gun will mostly be used on coyotes and whitetail deer inside 400yds. So is it worth the extra 1.5" barrel length to gain 60ish fps? I would like to keep a somewhat heavy contour barrel, that's why I'm thinking of fluting to reduce some weight. Anyone see any issues with the list of parts I've compiled? Or see anything that they would change or do differently? Thanks appreciate any feedback.

P.S. I know there are better actions out there, I already have this one and I'm wondering if it's worth spending some money on?

Ben