Given the perpetual arguments here, I'm guessing one's specific intentions should be more clearly spelled out on this subject. I.e. is one finishing a stock, sealing a stock, or both? There are any number of methods and products for putting an attractive and durable finish on wood.

If sealing is the goal, one might do better to explore the methods employed by knife makers to seal their bone/wood scales. Their products are exposed to heavy use, water, and any number of cleaning agents or solvents. Their methods typically involve heat, vacuum, pressure, and any of several relatively inert filling/sealing compounds. There are several commercial houses for these services, as most of us do not possess the equipment and materials to accomplish these jobs.

Living and hunting primarily in eastern Or and the arid west where humidity is seldom mentioned, I go with what I consider an attractive oil finish, typically having 20+ hand rubbed applications and call it good. Were I doing Mt. Vaialeale, in Hawaii, with 460" of annual precip, I'd likely go with an initial commercial sealing, and then apply my finish of choice. Sadly in that latter instance, I'd probably end up going with one of those horrid plastic stocks.

Last edited by 1minute; 11/30/16.

1Minute