Congrats on the elk! I've only had one mule deer that was basically inedible. It was a bit smaller than this one shot late season in full rut chasing does. Walking up to it, my buddy and I stopped at 50 yards literally gagging at the smell. It was nasty - the dogs ate most of it but I did make some sausage (and had to toss some eek).

Lately, I've been hunting deer in lower country with muleys and white tails running together in the same habitat. I can't tell any difference in taste between the two. I shot a muley a little bigger than this one two years ago on October 31. He was running with does but not all rutted up - he was a little stronger tasting than a younger buck or doe, but very edible. My wife won't eat any venison except in stews, chili and burger (mixed with beef) so I guess it depends on the individual.

I've been experimenting with brining my venison before grilling and liking the results. I did that with the tenderloins off this one and the flavor was great - not strong or gamey at all. I'm optimistically thinking this one will be good on the table. I've always felt what they eat is a factor and muleys / white tails living and eating in the same locale should taste similar. I assume your desert muleys and coues are in the same habitat eating similar feed so your experiences apparently differ from mine.