Has anyone researched and done habitat improvement for a small (20-30 acre) property? My son recently bought a house with 26 acres that we’ve been hunting this fall. The prior owner killed some really nice bucks on the property in the past but all we’re seeing are does and a couple of immature bucks on the trail cams. There are other hunters on adjacent properties but the pressure doesn’t seem significant.

Compared to other areas I hunt the ground cover is kind of sparse, there is no bedding area, no water, and the mast crop is spotty due to a fairly low percentage of oak trees. There is a stand of hemlocks in one corner of the property that would offer shelter in heavy snow and the property on the uphill side adjacent to his was logged about 10 years ago so there is bedding cover there. The deer seem to pass through his property but don’t stay or feed there.

The obvious improvements would be to create a bedding area, increase ground cover and put in some additional food sources. I’d like to find a book or website that details how to layout, plan and execute these types of projects. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Bill

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/