Went to my friend's pawn shop today and he had a No. 1 in a 7 Rem Mag. Wood showed age as this is a gun that has been used and not sat in a safe since '75, it's date of birth. Here's the real rub, the barrel has been cut off to, I'm guessing, 20-22". The wood is not spectacular as some of the early ones were, but I'm ok with it. The barrel is a heavier barrel than the ones I have owned in the past and the forearm stock reflects that it is larger. Without seeing it, can anyone tell me what contour I might be looking at? It is not as big of a barrel as a Varmint I don't think and can't imagine anyone making a Varmint barrel in 7 Mag.

Here's my questions. With so-so wood, cut-off barrel, what would the gun be worth-ballpark figure. And, approximately what would be the cost to have it re-barreled. And finally, what other calibers would work with that caliber set-up. Would it have to be a larger caliber or a magnum? Any help would be appreciated. And if someone can give me the website of a Smith that re-barrels the No. 1's, I would appreciate that as well. I really want the gun, but not if it is not worth anything. Thanks-Eddie