Originally Posted by byc
Originally Posted by EdM
Do keep in mind that when you hit 70 or so your discretionary spending will likely fall a bunch.

While I totally agree ….maybe maybe not. For yourself I agree. But it's the unknown like sick relatives or kids coming back to roost that can make a huge change in this!

Thank God my 49 year old sister was a tenured teacher with a Masters and had the required years to receive excellent full health at full costed retirement rates. Otherwise, I could have been wiped out. That very large stage IV cancer experience that was very expensive even with great insurance was very educational. And it's not over yet. However, I would spend every dime I have to care for any one of my relatives. And likely will leaving me in a van down by the river. grin

The unknown sucks. But the unexpected diagnosis is much more painful than the price tag and portfolio repercussions. NO comparison. I never cried over lost investments, but I have cried.

Decent health insurance for all is key!! No mortgage is the other. Responsible siblings and kids very important.

My boys are/will be well set. My siblings the same. Thankful to the great parenting we had.

Conduct is the best proof of character.