I won't have a dog living in the house all the time. When my kid's were little my MIL gave them a small short haired puppy about the size of a Chihuahua. The kids named her Snuggles and I told my kids that as soon as she got grown up she was going outside. I built a doghouse for Snuggles that had a covered front porch with a curtained entrance. The floor, walls and ceiling were insulated. I also glued carpet to the floor and put her dog blanket in so she could make her own bed. Since she was so small I built a room in the back of the doghouse with 2 100w light bulbs wires so that if one bulb burned out there would still be one light burning. The inside wall was made of aluminum so it would get warm and had a 1/4" opening at the top so the heated air could flow into the inside. Snuggles would adjust her location in the doghouse depending on the outside temperature. A lot of the time she would sleep with her head or nose sticking out of the curtain on cold nights. On cold mornings the kids would let her in the house to play and before they went to school they would open the back door and Snuggles would go right back to her doghouse. She loved her doghouse.

Last edited by victoro; 12/08/16.