Ahoy the forum from the coast of Maine!

Rifle season for deer ended 2 weeks ago and muzzleloader season ended today (it was a balmy 7 degrees when I left the house and I was in the wood for 10 hours). And now instead of deer, I've been hunting for rifles -- Savage rifles, that is.

Although I have a wonderful Checkered 99F Takedown (1939 Vintage) that I've posted about before, I'd been on the hunt for a decent 250 Savage for quite awhile now. I have passed up many beaters and quite a few decent rifles that were 2-3X what they were worth or what I wanted to pay. Sure, like anyone, I was looking for a bargain, if possible, but I also didn't want one that was mishandled or molested by "Bubba" or his gang.

I think I did OK with this one, but I'd welcome your thoughts.

It is a Savage 99A in .250-3000 with some decent case color left on the lever, with the rotary shell counter and as you'll see in the photos it was D&T'd at the factory (I believe) and it has the top-tang safety. The blueing looks great, as is the bore, and overall it's in great shape except for a few slight handling marks on the wood. I don't have it in my hands just yet, so I can't determine the serial number...

Based on what you all see in these photos, can anyone please address these questions:

* What is the approximate value for a 99A in this caliber in this "almost fine" condition?

* Are the QD Swivel Studs a factory addition or added by an owner?

* OK, I'll admit it... I paid $625 -- how did I do???

Thanks all!

Old No7

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH