The .270 Redding I've used for years was developed by Redding's Richard Beebe on the .308 case long before Remington had a 7mm/08 or a .260. I like it, but can understand the industry's preference for a 7mm. The .270 Winchester came along in a different time, when the .30-06 stood almost alone as a high-velocity big game cartridge. The sub-7mm slot was a void. Not so today! The long list of fast-stepping .264- and .284-bore rounds is rife with overlap. Any choice of one diameter over another is, in my view, arbitrary. I adore the .270 Weatherby, but in truth the .264 Winchester and the 7mm Remington and Weatherby Magnums are very similar beyond the muzzle. Bullet availability has some effect on cartridge design. So does the success of other rounds of similar bore. What company wouldn't want to piggy-back on the popularity of the 7mm Remington Magnum? Our wealth of 30-caliber rounds owes much to the .30-06! .... WvZ

Originally Posted by IndyCA35
I kind of wonder why nobody ever commercialized other rounds in the popular .277 caliber, like a .270/.308. Or a .270 magnum instead of a 7mm magnum. Other than the one Weatherby offering, that is.