Stalker:

It is one of the sweetest rifles I own. The smith told me he had about $2300 total into the work with most of it paid by the original client in advance. All he wanted for it was to get what he still had outstanding.....$750. shocked

PM me an email address and I'll send photos.

Forebore - agree the only difference between the 458 American and the 450 Marlin is the band width and position on the case. The point I was trying to make is that a manufacture (Hornady) commercially produced the 450 Marlin and I don't think anyone ever commercially produced the 458 American. Maybe IF someone had, the 458 American would have become commercially viable. But then too, the manufacturer would have very likely run into the liability issues of a few idiots trying to interchange American and Win Mag. Just like you "CAN" shoot Win Mag in a Lott chambered rifle, most don't recommend a steady diet of it as it can mess up the chamber over time. So, you end up back for the reasons for the 450 Marlin - greater performace while hopefully reducing liability.

My other points for the 450 Marlin conversions are, not having to use an angled magazine to accomdate the 45-70 rim, not having to open the bolt face to accommodate the 45/70 rim and creating a possible weak spot (have one that proves this) and lastly, reducing the possibility of a jam by not having to worry about making sure the rounds are loaded down in the mag well again due to the 45-70 rim.

Of the conversions I have my favorites, in order are: 1 - Win 70 in 450 Marlin, 2 - Ruger 77 in 450 Marlin, then the SM's in 45-70. Others may different opinions and that is fine. I've got literally several thousand rounds combined between these five weapons and this is my hands on experience.

As mentioned - the SM imports for conversion were "inexpensive" and not "cheap" meaning "low quality". Historically, at the turn of the century when these were made in Japan under license by Mauser for the nation of Siam (now Thailand), Japan was know for turning out the highest quality steals available anywhere. That inherent strength and quality and an angled box magazine combined with there very inexpensive re-import surplus price is that made them so attractive for 45/70 conversions. Unfortunately now with time, when SM are for sale they seem to start around $300 and up. Goo bit of money when all you need is the action.