Try changing the front struts on an E series 4 matic and get back to me on how easy they are to work on. I got a set of Billsteins to replace the blown factory shocks. When I found out I'd need a specialized spring compressor I took it to a local shop as the tool cost as much as paying someone to do the work, or so I thought. That shop wasn't able to swap them out, same story at another shop and we don't have any independent MBZ shops so it's to the dealer and they only install factory parts so $1600 parts and labor, plus the cost of the Billsteins I can't use.

I'd say few vehicles ride as well as an E class and as the sales guy said the only bad thing is once you drive one you won't want anything else, and he's right as we just got our third.

But you're best getting rid of them prior to hitting 100k on the odo as somewhere around 120-160k you're going to be dishing out some serious money on something, and it doesn't have to be a major something to cost more that $1000 or a combination of repairs exceeding $4000. Based on 220k on an E320 wagon and 165k on an E430 sedan and repairs that included front CV's, front wheel bearings, catalytic converters, water pump, shifter control and likely something I'm forgetting and that's on top of typical wear items of brakes/rotors and ball joints.

The engines and transmissions are rock solid and if you're willing to deal with the occasional repair on top of normal wear and tear items no reason they shouldn't go an easy 300k. But your blue book value on the car will drop to the point of being worth well less than a major repair somewhere around 10+ years old and 150k. Parts aren't cheap and not everyone knows how to work on them or has the proper tools to work on them.