I've had a 6.5-06 for 30 yrs, built on a 98 Mauser action with a 6.5 barrel made from a WWII surplus machinegun barrel. It's been a very accurate round that shoots just about any bullet wieght and powder combination accurately. About the only thing I don't like about it is the barrel is only 20.5" long after the new threads were cut, so the rifle looks kindof funny/out of balance, with the long length of pull of the custom made laminated maple/walnut stock thats on it. Killed several pronghorns, deer and assorted orher critters with it.

30 yrs ago it was fun to work up loads for it, because we didn't have internet and lots of load data for it. Had to figure it out the old fashion way. The old gunsmith that helped me put this rifle together was building himself a 6.5x284 at the same time, almost talked me into doing that too at the time. Sure wish I could have talked his family into selling his gun when he passed.

What ever you decide to do, make it fun and enjoy!

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....