Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by greydog
That is a Springfield. A decent early 1960's utility rifle. I would spend 500 dollars for it if my money came easily but, in reality, it looks like 300 to me. GD

To me, it would depend on the barrel. If it's SS that would be a plus. I'd run a Hawkeye down the bore and if it's pristine, it would be worth $500. From there, I'd grade it downward accordingly. The Hawkeye is a great tool for situations just like this.

And, if it turns out to be a MOA shooter, someone got a great deal. That does look like the OEM military trigger. If so, that's a minus.

The lock time, striker fall is pretty long on those guns, another minus, IMO.

I have two Springfields, one with a McGowen SS barrel chambered for an unmentionable (gay) round. (I was young back then!) The other has Lyman receiver sight with OEM barrel, Fajan stock, Timney trigger, bead front sight using original barrel band.

The McGowen rifle has a French Walnut, Herter stock that I reshaped (it had a roll over comb) and checkered, inlayed with rosewood, has Timney trigger, Jaeger safety. It's a good shooter, MOA or better. Skip a line checkering...??? Those were the days; that was cool in the '60's... smile I even jewelled the bolt.

I don't use either one, have better rifles, kept them for their nostalgic value.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Camera caught some dust...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Nice rifles DF!

Semper Fi