There are so many good 22 rifles out there, both old and new. Its tough to even keep track of them all, nevermind know which ones are the standouts.

We all know about the famous ones (Marlin 39, Winchester 52, etc) but I got to wondering which ones are the uncommonly good ones that never get the credit they deserve.

I'm going to throw out a vote for the Remington 582. Its the little brother of the 788 centerfire and shares a well designed rear lug action and the same real trigger group with the 788. The tube magazine holds plenty of ammo (14 long rifles IIRC) and keeps the rifle easy to carry. Factory stock is adult length though slender and while usually birch, were also made in walnut and cherry. Its very scopeable with a low rotation bolt handle and 3/8" groove. And the steel receiver has plenty of thickness to be D&T.

Yeah, I wish the barrel wasn't so long (24" I think) and that the rear sight wasn't held on with that hokey plastic sleeve, but mine is a REALLY good rifle, so its getting my vote over a few others that are also really good.

So, which not-so-mainstream 22 rifles are diamonds in the rough to you?

Kragman

Last edited by kragman1; 01/04/17.

Work is what you do to finance your real life.....