Originally Posted by tndrbstr
Thinking about adding a scope of some kind to my 870 for this season. Any advice?
Thanks

I have put BSA and Bushnell Banner 1.5-4.5 variables on shotguns for deer and turkey hunting over the years. My results have been good. My only failure was a mid-90's Bushnell Banner that just did not have enough eye relief for the stock length of my Mossberg 500. A newer one, purchased last year, did not have that problem. In general, as long as the scope is sturdy enough to take the shock and affords minimal magnification, you'll be fine. I set mine to about 2.5 power.

One word of warning regarding scopes: Be careful about your range. If you get a turkey in your scope, it is very hard to judge range. The gobbler can wander away, and if your head stays down, you may not be able to detect it, especially if it's on open pasture with no visual cues. I had this happen last year, and it's happened once before. I was so busy trying to stay still and so busy angling for a good shot, I lost track of how far the gobbler wandered.

See:
Last Tag Filled Amid Mortal Combat

Bottom line: I shot the bird at 60 yards with a gun that was set up for a 40-yard shot. He died, but it took rolling around on the ground with him before he succumbed.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer