Originally Posted by midwestpackhunter
Hey guys doing my winter planning/scouting and trying to decide on a rifle hunt for my wife next year. We both archery hunted unit 54 last year and although we didn't fill any tags we had several close encounters and saw elk every day. I will be returning this next season with the bow but we are thinking about coming back for first season rifle for her. I'm curious what the hunting pressure is like and if the elk tend to be at high elevations like they were for archery season (11,000' or so). We take horses and pack in for the entire season. We are not looking for any ones spots as that would take away from the adventure for us but any advice will be greatly appreciated.

By late August or so the feed begins to freeze and the large nursery tend to break into smaller groups and begin to move down into the timber where it hasn't frozen hard. That can vary by two weeks or so. In other words first rifle season you may find less elk in your archery areas, but likely there will still be elk. And the bulls will probably still be rutting the first season (after they're shot at a few times they often abandon the ladies pretty quick).

Start looking in your archery areas and then look down country. Hunting pressure can make them move back up country for a short time. If you can camp above the pressure and give it 24 hrs you may see elk moving back into your area.

Remember, 1st season is draw only, although I think cow tags are undersubscibed in that unit.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.