Shot this ram in August, but all the credit goes to the two guys pictured: Dustin Stetter, the outfitter, on the left, and Stephan Hoadley, guide, on the right. The ram went 173 1/8 SCI for those who measure, 8 1/2 years old and well fed according to the biologist.

http://outfitterswyoming.com/

[img:left][Linked Image][/img]

This guy was bedded with a 3/4 curl and another ram just a few inches smaller than he. He stood and at the shot the 3/4 curl did an incredible leap over the rock on the left and down a 12-15' wall. This guy's compadre hung in there for a few seconds checking out his near dead bud who stood wavering on his feet. First shot was quartering on and as he turned broadside another thru the lungs, once his nervous partner got his head out of the way. 260 yards lasered, Rifles Inc. TI, 280 AI w/140g Nosler BTs. Not a 700 fan, but deeply thankful for every pound that rifle doesn't have...

Dustin had a couple spots he had scouted and this was the first one. This was on the third hunting day. We saw some other good rams. Gents, I have done 98% DYI hunts over the last 40 years, but the skill I witnessed in spotting, judging and stalking was humbling. Both men have been guiding sheep hunters from their teenage years. I used to rent mule deer drop camps from Larry Stetter, Dustin's late dad, so I have known Dustin for some time.

Eight hour pony ride into base camp and then up to spike camp.

The base camp used to be Clayton Voss' hunting camp, who just happens to be Dustin's wife, Laura's, father. Clayton has some history with sheep hunting...:)
Here is a pic of Clayton looking over the horns in base camp. Dustin on the left, three year-old son, Griffen, then Bel, Clayton's granddaughter (hidden), Stephan, Laura, and Becca who did the wrangling.

[img:left][Linked Image][/img]

Post hunting, we got socked in with rainstorms for a couple days and everybody could cook and did. I am not a chowhound and usually drop 5-10# on a mountain hunt, but actually gained a few pounds this time--slightly embarrassing...:)

Great people & a great hunt!

Defend the Constitution