Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by jimmyp
say you found a Kimber montana in 30-06 for $600 like new but you already had a 308 win for deer hunting that was a "good" gun. Would you buy the long action gun just because of the price?

84L MT 30-06? If so, I can't see any reason to own that rifle. It's certainly not anything I'd hunt deer with from a stand. Its highest and best use is backpack, BG hunting.

I've had two of them. A bit too much of a good thing for my taste. Bearable, but not especially fun. But I tend to run 180's in the 30-06. The 165's will tame it slightly. Slightly.

The 308 MT is a LOT more fun to shoot, and really makes more sense from nearly every POV.

The funny thing I can't really tell the difference between a Kimber 30-06 and a 308 off the bench. If you had me blind folded and to shoot a round of one of either off the bench and ask if I just shot the 308 or 30-06 I highly doubt I could tell you the difference correctly. Both def have recoil in that light of a rifle but one is not THAT much more recoil to me. But I really don't "enjoy" shooting any centerfire rifles so much as they are a tool and means to an end. I have other rifles for plinking and enjoy shooting.