I'll be spending about 6 weeks in AK this summer.

Spending about 2-3 days in each of the following destinations:

[list]
[*] Ketchikan
Juneau
Haines
Tok
Fairbanks
Denali area
Homer
Soldotna
Valdez
then ending in Anchorage

selling all my stuff, and flying home.

I expect to fish for freshwater (trout, grayling) and saltwater (including 2-3 guided salmon and halibut trips). A

We are bringing a ~14', 3 person canoe for mild river and lake fishing, and if appropriate....some bay fishing.

I'm looking for recommendations on what gear to bring. I have an exhaustive battery of TX type fishing gear, including lightweight rigs for trout, plus bass fishing rigs, and some heavier stuff (abu garcia 5000 and 6500's) I use for catfish. I have some flyfishing (5 weight) gear as well.

As much as anything, I'd appreciate advice that says "oh, hell no, dont bring ______________", we all use ____________ for that kind of work.

Specific areas of concern: what to use for river and or bay salmon?

heavy duty spinning rods? or are my abu 6500's plenty good? would the 5000's be good enough?

also..... how many of each rod type do you recommend? 1 per man + a spare?

I apologize for the open ended, clueless questions, but the truth is, I've never done any river salmon fishing, so I humbly ask for your wisdom.

thanks in advance.

shane

First teach a child to love God, second teach him to love family, third teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. Cotton Cordell