I picked up some IMR4451 to try in my 7-08. I looked up Hodgdons data on it and it brought up a question.

I am shooting Sierra's 140 grain Pro Hunter. Hodgdon lists data for 139 grain Hornady's, and 140 grain Swifts. I did do some testing with H414, H4895, and H4350. I used the 140 grain data to start with but was not seeing any pressure signs even when sitting at the top end of what Hodgdon lists for the 140 grain Swift.

I know that data is based on quite a few factors, weight being a major one, but in this case we are talking about a 1 grain difference, which in a lot of cases can even vary bullet to bullet in a box. So, logic seems to say that the differences must be on bullet construction/bearing surface.

I would tend to think that my Sierra's are closer to Hornady than the Swifts correct? I would go off the data that Sierra lists, but they conveniently do not have any for 4451. In fact, they don't list data for H4350 or H414(although they do list it for 760). If you cross reference Sierra and Hodgdon, the loads seem to favor the Hodgdon data on the Hornady bullet more so than the Swift.

So, I know you always start low and work up, but I just want to make sure I'm not missing something in my thinking that the Hodgdon data for the Hornady bullet would be more appropriate than the Swift data.

I'm hoping that I can find a good node with the velocity I was seeing with H4350.