Originally Posted by butchlambert1
Eielson was surely there in the mid 50s when we were. Seems as Ladd was right in Fairbanks almost. At the time they had 3 squadrons of F89 Scorpions. One had F89C and the other 2 had F89D. Eielson had the new F100 Super Sabres.
Cold weather testing was done at Ladd. @ planes that caught my eye, the F102 and the F104. I believe the F104 was just introduced and did cold weather testing in March or April of 1956. We watched L19&L20s land on the Chena river.
A wonderful place for a kid to grow up!

That would have been cool Butch...

Growing up on AFBs in those days was a great thing for a boy...

My dad was never anywhere they had F 89s at. Always thought they were a cool plane during that time period...

In the 50s, my dad was attached to SAC, so it was B36s, B47s and B52s I mainly recall seeing on base...

then the usual transports, C123s, C 124s, C 119s, C 130s, C 133s....

I do remember some B 25s still around...and the ever present T 33s.. I think every base had those things laying around...

never was around birds as cool as F 89s and F 94s...

F 100s, 101s, 102s, 104s and 106s seemed to be around somewhere nearby....Funny I don't remember 105s being around tho...

sure was a lot of AFBs back in those days...didn't seem that far up the road to another one...

and thank God we didn't have to live in base housing except once in NC at Pope.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez