I don't mind being 70 yards out from the roost tree, but the direction that the birds pitch out of the tree is a big deal. I also find that they go to a more open area when they come off of the roost. Like any bird, they have to re-figure pecking order almost daily, and this is their first chance of the day, flying down to a semi open area, or to an open field and re-gather their flock.

Turkey hunting becomes very easy when you are sitting where they want to go in the first place. Trying to call them 100-300 yard in the wrong direction is much more difficult.

If you don't get them off of the roost, they will eat and breed, then the hens and toms become looser in the flock, sometime separating. That is when calling blind has the most effect, imo. 10am-1pm when a boss tom is either separated from his hens, or has bred them and is looking for more hens is where you can get toms to really close a lot of distance and commit to traveling farther than they would if they had hens with them that still wanted to be bred.

I lived in city limits with a 50-60 bird flock that frequented the back of my property, all open field in easy view and roosted on the back tree line. Watching the goofy things everyday for almost 7 years, you pick up on what they are going to do before they know themselves, and every so often they still do something to surprise you.