Originally Posted by Offshoreman
I have a couple of knives that I need some help with. Years ago I had at work who told me that he was building knives and was looking for business. I had some nice ironwood that I offered up and asked him to build me a couple of drop point general hunting-skinning knives. What I got back looked OK at a distance but the finished product is not something that I would be proud of. The contour of the grips has numerous 'flats' instead of being smooth and ripple free. There are a few grinding marks still visible and I had asked for a brushed finish on the steel and not a high-buff 'gloss'.

I am not a knife collector but being a stock smith for over forty years I do have a great appreciation for the metallurgy knowledge, art and precision it takes to turn out the wonderful knives I've seen. So I do not want to insult anyone with my request: Is there any one out there who could take these knives and finish them properly? I realize that you have to live with what I send and that they are not the materials or initial quality of build that you would do yourself, I just want to have something useful with better esthetics than they have now.

I would appreciate PM's with advice or cost proposal for what I am asking. Thanks and happy new year to all.

Respectfully,

P-Man

There was a guy named Peagler in Moncks Corner making knives 25 yrs ago, i bought 2 . Finish was not as good as my Herron but very serviceable for a hunting knife, as I don't use it at all. Just a thought, don't know where you are in SC. Since you are a wood guy do you have a pantograph?

CO School of Trades, Gunsmithing, '76
Clemson University '74
Go Tigers