Originally Posted by CaptEdIII
Originally Posted by Ralphie
There has to be some smart mechanics on the fire.

I have a 2001 chevy prizm, pretty much a toyota corolla.

It ran fine two weeks ago, sat unused in some pretty cold temps. Went to start, it started ran for 1-2 seconds then died. If I try to start it again immediately it will just crank. If I wait a few seconds it'll start then die.

Pushing the gas has almost no effect and it still dies.

I've cleaned the MAF and currently have the throttle body off, cleaned it last night.

Would it start at all if the fuel pump was going?

Where else to look?

Thanks.

Ralph,

Could be numerous things.

MAF can be bad and engine will still start.

One bad cylinder coil, engine should start & run with misfire.

Cold (under 20F) could cause frozen fuel line and no start condition. Once temp reaches 30'sF engine should start.

Check these simple things in this order (from my memory):

#1)Are you getting any OBD codes? If yes, tell me what they read.

#2) Is there spark at each coil (all 4). Pull each coil one at a time. Ground end with insulated screwdriver as someone cranks engine for 3 seconds each. Spark must be blue & jump 1" to ground.

#3) Is there pulsating juice to each injector connector? Remove each injector wire one at a time & re-install after each test. Check + wire with grounded test lamp while someone cranks engine for 3 secs each. You should see bright flashing test light on each injector.

#4) Is there fuel pressure at the injector rail? Best to do with a gauge hooked up. Should read about 40 lbs and hold for 5 minutes.

If you follow these simple steps, you can begin to diagnose your problem. Should not take you more than 1/2 hr total to do these 4 simple steps.

Post your results and I'll try to check back.

-Ken

The only code I got was P1315, going to put a new ignition coil on it this evening. It changed to p1310 when I swapped it with the #3 coil.

But I wondered too why it wouldn't start with a misfire with just one bad ignition coil.