Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by Huntz
Originally Posted by moosemike
Remington has lightened up the Marlin 336 receiver. So much so that Ranger Point Precision will not build a hotter cartridge onto the Remlin 336 receiver. The word I'm getting is Remington now runs into pressure problems with trying to make the MX rounds work. The steel they removed is in the front of the ejection port where the barrel threads are.

That is on the Model 1894.

It's on the 336 and 1895 too. I have a Remlin 336 to compare to my my JM 336. On the Remlin I can look through the receiver and see the rear barrel thread. On my JM's I cannot. The new 1895's are really cut away right underneath the breech bolt.

Here is the post from RPP

Recent "improvements" to Remlin 1894s disqualify them
Dear MOF members,

Like many of you here on this forum, we at RPP have been hopeful that Remington would put their considerable resources to work fixing quality issues with the Marlin rifles. We saw some fit improvement over the last year or so, and it seemed the future was looking up. But while it pains me to go negative on my favorite brand, I do feel obligated to share with all of you my recent experience with several brand new 1894 models.

Right now we have eight freshly minted 1894s (in .44 mag of course) in our shop. All of these exhibit Remington’s latest “improvement.” The visible changes are to the bolt. The company, probably in an attempt to address some feeding issues, decided to lop off the lower support tabs on the bolt face. Just so I’m clear, on these bolts the case head is no longer supported underneath, or in the lower left quadrant of the bolt face. In order to trap the case head during extraction, they moved the extractor lower, so it is now substantially below the axis of the firing pin. In this manner the extractor will, theoretically, exert leftward and upward tension on the case head, forcing it up against the remaining upper left support tab.

Trouble is, this doesn’t actually work. The rifles feed smoothly enough, but fail to eject more often than not, because the poorly supported cases just fall of the bolt before they hit the ejector. Or they droop, and the ejector just shoves them against the inside of the receiver below the ejection port. Not good.

As of this writing we have found no easy fixes to this problem, which shouldn’t be a problem at all. Remington could have done away with any and all feeding issues by simply improving the extractor itself, which is all we’ve ever had to do. With the old, tried and true design you could make a couple of tweaks to the extractor and be golden. Now there is real heartache.

In addition to the aforementioned changes, it is evident that Remington has continued to move toward cheaper, softer metal, and this is affects the way the guns feel. Any attempt to remove or polish material results in a very coarse feeling action. I have concerns about long term wear and strength as well.
While we have already committed to the rifles we have on hand, we will no longer buy or take in Remington made 1894s for use as the base for a custom build. This includes, especially, conversions like our .45 acp short stroke.

If you have a new .44 mag with this issue you should absolutely let Remington know they have taken a wrong turn, as I have attempted to do. For our part, we will continue to work on and provide support for JM rifles. We will also do our best to help folks who have issues with late model rifles.

Kind regards,
AD

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience