crossfire;
Thanks for the reply sir, yes I know of what you speak.

We've lived here in the BC interior for 33 years now and for the most part traveled through Vancouver on our way to the BC Ferry terminals to visit family on the Island.

That changed for me 3 years ago when I started to work for a construction/development firm that does work here in the Okanagan and Vancouver.

We've done four projects there since - two within two blocks of East Hastings and one in Surrey. The fourth was a comparatively quiet and safe place - though it was just a few blocks off of the "world famous" rainbow cross walk on Davie. At least those folks weren't looking to rob us blind.....

The amount of theft off site and out of your work rigs is just ridiculous compared to here and we think we're bad nowadays compared to 30 years ago.

For instance we had not one but two entire sets of wheels stolen off our Bobcat skid steer on the Surrey project.

When one is unloading something like a 5 ton box truck you can't leave the back open or unattended for more than a couple minutes because stuff walks off. It's annoying to say the least.

That said, during daylight hours I've never felt personally unsafe crossfire - most of the druggies will avoid construction workers as a rule it seems. Even if I made eye contact or said good morning typically they'd just look down and shuffle by at an accelerated pace.

Anyway it's a problem up here for sure and certain crossfire and like I said - we're paying for it one way or another. Personally I'd like to see if an enhanced mental health program wouldn't put a dent in it.

Not saying it would for sure, but I do know that emphatically "this" isn't working currently.

Thanks again and have a fine day sir.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 01/22/17. Reason: more detail

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"