Just joined this forum - mainly due to the great coverage of so many related outdoor topics - but also because this forum gave the most information on my latest problem.

I have an "old" Remington 700BDL 30-06 that I bought with my own grocery store earnings back in the mid-late 60s while I was in high school. I keep it at a rural cabin (in a lined carrying case) that we let temps swing from quite cold to mid 80's during the summer. I recently checked on it and it appears "impressions" have been made into the finish. To make matters worse, I gave it a thorough cleaning using a bore cleaner that got on the stock and "melted" the stock finish and even melted some fibers into the finish.

Is there any way to recover without a total refinish? There are some minor scratches, but not enough to justify a rather difficult stripping/refinishing job for what appears to be the "RTW" finish. I'm wondering if the existing finish can be redistributed somewhat evenly, it would be worth a try - at least it seems so to me.