Some people turned away from 22mag during the shortage. Now returing or for the first time are see the excellent performance from Vmax 22mag. The polymer tip bullets, proven in 17 hrm do the same too increase range and accuracy in 22mag.

Obviously the 17 is a little flatter shooting and the 22 handles more varied heavier loads.

I have 3 rifles in 22mag. Ruger American, CZ varmint and Anschutz mannlicher. All three rifles would put 5 shots in a 1 inch group at 100 yards on a calm day. The CZ is the most accurate of my current three.

The 22mag does very well with 40 grain maxi mag as a general hunting load. The Vmax is very flat and the only load to deliver 1moa in all three gun. The CZ will approach 1/2 moa with 40 grain.

Hornady also loads 45 grain critical defense with a heavy bullet and faster powder for handguns. I dont have any way to verify velocity. The reviews are good. Compares favorably to a 380.

http://www.policemag.com/channel/we...ngs-critical-defense-ammo-in-22-wmr.aspx

The 22mag has a lot of versatility in addition to new generation flat shooting Vmax. You can still get FMJ loads and shot loads.