Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by moosemike
The Amish and mennonites for example almost never have bolt guns because they're trying to kill deer not punch sub moa groups.
The amish are a strange lot. They won't use modern farm implements, electricity, appliances or transportation but come deer season they will use modern, repeating rifles. I don't get it.

I live right in the middle of one of the fastest growing Mennonite communities in the country. In addition, a few miles south of me are many Amish. And before someone asks....yes, there is a big difference between the two, with many differing groups within their ranks. The Amish seem to use more open sighted rifles, such as 30-30's and old military rifles, plus shotguns. The Mennonites around me, for the most part use bolt action rifles that scoped. They like rifles chambered for easy to find cartridges......30-06, 270, 308. Also, you see some 25-06 and 243, they like those so they can coyote hunt with them. I do see the occasional Mennonite with a 30-30, but they prefer the bolt actions, or so it seems. You won't see any top of the line rifles, with most being the ones in the lower price range.