Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
JB in SC: Wowsers!
If your value assessment of the S&W 617 six shot revolvers is correct I just halted my search for one!
I did not know they were that rare - I saw a couple years ago but have had trouble finding one since.
Thanks for the heads up.
Darn.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Don't get too excited, the ones without the full lug barrel are the versions that are bringing the high prices. As with all S&W rarities it didn't take long for them to escalate into the stratosphere. I saw two sell for over $7,000 last year, they were new in box with all the accessories. Sold by a fairly well known S&W collector that had a nice display of all 617 variations.

The early 617 full lug barrels were the six shot versions, both 4" and 6". They are out there but they are still pretty pricey. I haven't seen a six shot sell for under $700 in years. They would be pre lock revolvers and usually command a premium.

There are also six and ten shot variations of the full lug Model 17, some had aluminum cylinders (I can't recall if it was the ten or six shot versions). There were some that had stainless cylinders, about 50 I think.

Keep in mind most of these were made in the late 80's to early 90's, so are pretty well known to collectors.